Tuesday 3 March 2020

A Look At Ancient Architecture

Following on from something a friend said to me last week about scenery never getting done to the same time scales as normal miniatures, I set out to make a point and finish off my Warcry scenery. To be fair, he was quite right, these ruins have been sat in the conservatory waiting to be finished for weeks and I can't use the storms as an excuse as all the necessary spray painting was done before the first gusts of wind hit British shores.

So I decided to get stuck in, admittedly I still have to paint the barricades to complete the set, but I have another scenery related project that needs my attention before the end of the month.

  The majority of this set was done with spray paint, with lighter shades dusted over the tops to get the larger areas of colour onto the models, then washes, dry brushes and details were added by hand afterwards. First up the stone head. One the most interesting bits of scenery GW has ever put out.
 The bell tower is hands down, my favourite piece of scenery that I own at the moment so it's a personal satisfaction to have it completed.


 The Wells were another cool touch to the Warcry set. Just a small detail that really adds a sense that these ruins used to be part of everyday life before it all went horribly wrong.


 For the water effects, I painted the bones as normal and the inside of the well dark brown. Then I just poured in a little PVA, tilted it around into all the gaps and left it to dry. The pictures aren't too great, but the effects look great in person in my opinion.









And there you have it. As I said earlier, a more pressing project for our groups Lord of the Rings campaign is taking the lead right now. I'll have posts about that another time, but the barricades to finish off this set won't take long. I'm really keen to get some use out of these soon, Warcry ideally, but I'd love to play Mordheim or Frostgrave just for the nostalgia. Just need to get an opponent round for drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment