Tuesday 29 January 2019

Into The West 2019

Once again, folks, I was fortunate enough to get the time off work to attend my local LOTR tournament third year running. I've always had fun at Into The West, previous years have allowed me to meet some new friends that I don't usually see else where and also a chance to play some Lord of the Rings games against a variety of armies and play styles. This year was no different with the welcome return of friends from previous events and a MANY others! This year was a huge event compared to the last two years, boasting over 50 players from all over the country. With that in mind I think I'll start my run down for this tourny with a massive "Thank you" to everyone involved in organising and to my opponents. To see a yearly event like this double it's attendance in such a short time is a staggering feat in my opinion and to have it as a regular fixture on doorstep will know doubt keep me and many other coming back year after year.

Now that's out of the way, onto the games and lack luster attempts to conquer Middle-earth.

Game1 - Ed Ball
My first game was against a name that sounded familiar to me. At first I thought this was because I may have met ed before, turns out it was just his ETC and tournament ranking Rep that had preceded him. Armed with the knowledge I was going into my first game against a tournament regular, I prepared for a savage beating, it was now up to me to try and limit how many points I'd would concede.


Going into the Tournament I was well aware of what my army could handle and the list of missions I could reliably cover. So when Ed rocked up with all the heavy elven cavalry he could carry, backed up with Elrond and playing a recon mission, the writing was on the wall.



After being shot at for a few turns, I decided my best chances were to try and bait Ed into charging me. It was a fools hope as Ed had no reason to rise to my challenge. He had the speed to take the objectives and the armour to hold me at bay. As the game wore on it also became apparent that my dice were still sleeping. Every hit bounced off and every low roll from Ed was bested by a lower roll from me.


By the end I was left with only Isildur and two other models to hold anything close to a defence (pitiful last stand).
Though it was a sound thrashing at the hands of a tournament regular, it was a great learning curve to start me off, certainly to blow away the cobwebs and get me focused. Ed was great opponent and was good enough to give me a few pointers going forward. Hopefully my next game would give me more luck.

Game2 -Alfie
Second Game and I'm feel ing a bit more optimistic. First match was a perfect storm of difficult mission, hard army and an even harder opponent. This time around would be different, right?

Or not....

 The mission was announced (Reconnoiter) and I once again dreaded the slog of infantry. I was going to have to play safe with my army for a few turns and then try and run as many models as possible off the opposite board edge. One problem, my next opponent, Alfie, was having none of it and he brought all the heavy cavalry and chariots to prove it.

 I was hoping to whittle down a few of Alfie's Easterlings before they had a chance to charge, but again my dice had other ideas and left me to fend for myself. That said, this was by no means going to be easy for Alfie, not if I could help it. I through everything I had at him; Elrond, Isildur, The Ring and every act of petty vengeance I could muster.
 In the end my best efforts allowed me to destroy the Khandish Kings chariot in an act of petulant spite only to have Isildur wander off with The Ring controlling his head leaving Elrond surrounded and doomed. It seemed like a fitting end all things considered. I had made an attempt to run my Elf archers up the board to at least try and complete the mission, but in the end it was too little too late.

Alfie played the round well and didn't give me an inch to work with. Despite my abysmal luck, it was an enjoyable match and Alfie was great to play against.

Game 3 -Paul
Round Three and still looking for a win, I was eager for blood. Having been knock down to the bottom tables I was feeling confident. The next mission was announced and it was much more my speed. A good ol' fashioned punch up with only the kill count scoring any points, just my sort of thing. Enter Paul with his Numenorian Army led Elendil.

 This time around I decided to use Isildur's higher armour to my advantage and ended up using him as a bit of blunt object. sending him through some ruins to out flank Paul's army as they advanced into my own infantry. Meanwhile, I was looking to avoid fighting Elendil for as long as I could. I took a little luck, but I was able to draw the King into the woods for a few turns of combat with the Elven archers.


 Elendil made his presence felt on the board, but by the time he was out of the woods, Elrond was mid-rampage. Isildur was the far side of the board so it would be a few turns before he would get back to the main combat so that just left the rank and file troops to brawl amongst themselves while Elendil and Elrond squared off for some 2nd Age epic dual.


 By now my dice had stopped being mad at me, but had cursed Paul's in return. Paul tried everything to pull back the fight in the woods and even tried to force my own models to fight amongst themselves. (We got confused as to who's Numenorian's were who's). It was a pretty brutal end to the game as Isildur stepped into the fray just in time to see Elrond cut down his Father in cold blood.
Paul was a great laugh and good sport about the game. I just hope his luck improved throughout the rest of the event.

Game 4 - Scott
I had my first winfor the weekend and I was looking to carry on the good fortune. Then I met Scott and his Moria army featuring Cave Drake and I had a new goal in mind. Dragon hunting!
 I was confident that even out-numbered I could stand a good chance against Scott. My plan was to try to delay his Goblins as long as possible in the hopes of crippling the Drake with Elrond and Isildur. After all, how tough could be against two heroes of such renown?

 Well, it turned out that the Drake was indeed pretty tough. Elrond initially held the line with the troops, relying on Isildur to handle the Drake on the other flank for a turn. In that time how ever, the rest of the Goblin's were allowed to rampage around my flank without stopping.

With both flanks being forced back by shear weight of numbers, Scott and I could both see the end was in sight. I was never one to leave a game without at least attempting to leave a mark and in the end there was a dirty great Cave Drake just asking for a kicking.
 Alas, this was one such saga that ended in failure. The Goblin's overran the Numenorian lines and the Drake's reluctance to even take a wound provided a decisive victory to Scott.
 
Again, another wonderfully friendly opponent and a good fun game. Scott's army went on to win best painted at the end of the event and I hope form these photos you'll be able to see why.

This marks the end of day 1 of Into The West and incidentally the end of part 1 of my write-up. Hope this sufficiently keeps you excited for part 2 which will be posted later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment