Sunday 8 January 2023

WAAAGH! DA SNAKEBITES!

 A little later than planned but here's the photo feast for the third army I was able to get done in 2022. This lot got finished for a tournament at the end of November that unfortunately I didn't get to go to. Between sickness, ride shares and train strikes, it just wasn't meant to be. I'm hoping to get them to an event later this year, but we'll have to wait and see.


Following on from the Retro Goff army, these guys started out as a few add-on units to the Goff list: namely the Boar Boyz. I had a bunch of these ladz in the lead pile and with the (then) new codex focusing on Beast Snaggas I decided to build a few to try them out. Their colour scheme deliberately uses the same palette as the Goffs to keep the 2 armies coherent, but with a greater use of white with red patterns, rather then the Goffs' black and chess board.








As with the Goffs, I tried to build the army around it's 1st and 2nd Edition roots. Goffs used lots of Nobz and Skar boyz, Snakebites fielded lots of Boar riders and beasts with almost no vehicles.




One unit I had to have in the list was the Beast Snaggaz, but the older editions didn't have anything that fit their description. I was scrolling eBay when I chanced on a bunch of Madboys at a reasonable price for a change. They fit the bill perfectly; they were different enough from the normal boyz to standout and their extra strength and durability would be attributed to their odd behaviour. I could have made them actual madboyz in game, but then they'd be unable to ride...

                                       




The Kill Rig (or Wyrd Wagon as I call it) was the second unit to get finished for the army after the Boar Boyz. I couldn't do a Snakebite list without one of these monstrosities lumbering about and I was eager to build my own retro version. Originally, the crew were 3D prints of some old style Orks, but I had enough Mad Boyz to carry over onto the Rig. This was only done recently, mind.




The Squiggoth was another must-have unit, but was ultimately an eBay impulse buy from ages ago. I got a good price as he was missing the horns and howder. Glad I got a chance to finish him up.





These brutes formed the core of the army. What started as a four man squad for the Goffs to bulk up their fast attack game, stampeded into a full army.


Zodgrod was going to be a Beastboss to lead the army, before I worked out a plan for a Squigasaur.




The Nobz are a mix of Freebooter, Runtherd and Snakebite Nob models that were all chunky enough to be Nobz, but also looked the part for the army. Just as before, everyone got their own unique banner design, but I found these more fun to paint than the Goffs.



Old school Snakebite armies had plenty of Wyrd boyz, Runtherdz and Doks in their ranks in 1st and 2nd Ed so this was something worth carrying over. Most of the Runtherdz got to Nobz in the end as the Runtherdz aren't all that usful in modern Ork armies. The repurposed Orc Shaman rides the Wyrd Wagon most of the time. The Wyrdboy with his "fire  team" is one of my all-time favourite models from this era. It has so much character and I've had the model in my collection for years, so getting around to painting it was a goal for the year.






Finally the Beastboss that made the cut to be Warlord. He was the last model to get finished in time for the Tournament, and as a result has never actually been used in a game yet. If I'd had the time I would like to have added a back banner like the rest of the armies characters, but now he's done, I don't to risk ruining the paint job.

So there you have it. 2022 saw 3 armies brought to completion, only for GW to release points adjustments for every army. I imagine the Orks will see room for some extra troops and bits of wargear, but I won't be making any changes to them at this stage. the Imperial fists on the other hand will be getting plenty of reinforcements. before Xmas I bullied a friend into a bit of a painting challenge. getting our half finished armies up to 1500pts by mid March. For me that was going to be 500pts of yellow marines, but early predictions may change that to 600pts. On top of that I still have Into The West to prepare for at the end of January and a LOT of comic cons lined up for the year....

Guess I better get started.


No comments:

Post a Comment