Sunday 15 September 2019

It's Hammer Time!

Soooooooooo sorry for the pun, but I had nothing else on hand to go with as a title. With that shameful affair out of the way, onto what I've been doing these last few weeks. Firstly, I've been trying to clear out a lot of old minis I don't use anymore as well as trying to get out of the house and see the family so between all of that and work I've been a little short on time. Work has been draining of motivation of late due to hours and paperwork, but I'm hoping the end is in sight in that regard.

Onto the fun stuff. I've been playing more Warcry and it has done exactly what I was hoping. It scratches the itch for a fantasy skirmish game in the same way Kill Team does for 40K. It has been a VERY long time since I was genuinely excited about GW fantasy settings. I played warhammer in the Old World and like most I was sad to see it go without warning. For a while I didn't have much faith in the new Age of Sigmar system to hold my interest, but I kept an eye on things.

2nd Edition was what finally peaked my interest. GW always made great kits and their new lore was growing into something worthy of note. I picked up a few books for fluff and even bought the Goblin Army book when it was released through loyalty to the li'l green buggers. But I still felt reluctant to play the core game.

Most of my regular group have adopted a liking for skirmish game of late and small model counts seemed to be the way forward, but Warcry is what I've been waiting for. Like most I've been chewing through the starter set trying to get as much done as possible and getting a few games in. I'll be getting the new expansion when I can and running a campaign when time permits.

All that gushing out of the way, onto the minis! I give you my Iron Golems.




I wanted these guys to have a bit of the Uruk-Hai look to them. For me it was a great excuse to play around with the rusted plate technique I picked up from the Gardens of Hecate blog. (give that tutorial a look) Also, as the models would be dark skinned and coloured metal, there was very little contrast on them to make them stand out so in my head I was betting on the white war paint to solve the issue. Even other colour schemes for the same models that I saw online didn't pop for me. (no discredit to other's paint jobs) Which was a shame as I absolutely love these figures. In the end I took the plunge and just got on with painting them. It wasn't until I'd finished painting the armour that I finally felt them coming together. The warpaint did the final tweak I wanted and I'm happy with how they turned out.


I'll give them a whirl the next time I play. I fancy getting a few extras for the group, but first I want to get some of that scenery finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment