Tuesday 28 May 2019

The Legends Continue

Last weekend was London MCM and what a show. Though I cannot speak for the celebrities or panels that were present I can say that the Comic Village was a true joy. I spent three days behind a table talking to Con goers, Cosplay artists and even the staff about the work I was doing and projects Deadstar as a whole were putting together, but it was sheer amount of Indy talent that was on show that really made it something to remember.

Indy comics has been a passion for many years and though it is highly unlikely it will ever replace my day-job, I'm fine with that. The time I dedicate to these art projects to tell stories is purely for my love of the genre and the amount original ideas that never get seen outside of these communities is amazing. For a while now, Indy publishing was just something that seemed to be bolted on to some cons as an after thought in favour of merchandise stands and Pop figures, but from where I was standing this weekend, I didn't feel that way.
Image may contain: 2 people
By day 3 fatigue was making me weirder than usual
I got to talk to so many people about their work, their experiences and their passions. All trying to make their mark on the comics world and having a great time while doing it. To the creators I spoke to at MCM, thanks for putting in the effort and thanks for chatting with me. Big shout outs to Anaseed Comix for Goblin related content and Peter Chiykowski for Postcard From Impossible Worlds, Check it out, it's an interesting read.

The same must be said to the attendees. Thank you, Indy publishing isn't an easy thing to do, so taking the time to walk through and look at what's on offer is always appreciated, but remember, Marvel and DC will be in your local bookshops or Amazon tomorrow, sometimes the small press stands are gone in the blink of an eye. It's in these places that really cool and unique ideas are found, but they won't stick around for long without the attendees' support. So post a link, talk to the creators or actually buy something, you never know what treasure you might find.

Finally a massive thanks to the organizers and staff around the Comics Village (again I can't speak for the rest of the event, I didn't see it) Everyone was busy, but the few I was lucky to talk to were always friendly and looked to be enjoying themselves, even after three days solid.

I'm looking forward to the next con and I hope to see you all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment